Category: Handy Tips
Protecting customer data – what you need to know
Protecting customer data is vital to the success of your business. If you fail to secure your customer’s information, you’ll lose their trust and ultimately their business. To make sure that doesn’t happen to you, it’s important to know the rules and regulations surrounding customer data.
The Data Protection Act
As a business, you are required to handle your customer’s information on a daily basis. The Data Protection Act was brought in to govern both the holding and the processing of any personal data your business has.
Under the DPA, it’s essential that all personal data must:
- Be processed both fairly and lawfully
- Be relevant and adequate at all times, rather than excessive
- Kept up to date where necessary (be sure to use Correct.email to ensure you’re not handling out of date information)
- Be processed in accordance with the individual’s rights
- Not be kept on record for any longer than necessary
- Not be transferred to any country operating outside the EEA, unless all information is fully protected
Failure to comply with the data protection act in full could result in an enforcement notice, effectively stopping your business from possessing data.